Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Happy Fourth of July....late, of course! :)

I know! I know! I know! I am supposed to be catching up on lots of blog posts, but as usual, I just seem to remain behind. So here is the quick version of what is up in our lives.

Fourth of July weekend was a blast. Brian has off Thursdays, and he helped me get ready to have Buncos at our house Thursday night. (What a sweet husband!) He whisked the boys off to go watch a movie in the youth room at church while all of us women ate supper and played the game. I really do enjoy having people over, but usually the people coming over are in their teens. So, I was a little nervous about my house looking nice and being well decorated. A friend of mine who is a genius decorator came over on Wednesday and helped hang pictures and rearrange some stuff, and I must say that it is amazing what a person with talent can do with a bunch of old stuff! :)

The other part that was a little nerve racking was cooking supper for 11 women who are all really good cooks. This is when I wish I was our friend Erin Cox, who is able to whip up these incredible meals. Since it was so close to the fourth of July, I made brisket, a potato casserole, and a baby spinach salad with strawberries and almonds topped with a homemade honey vinaigrette. On each table, I put some fresh fruit with a fruit dip (in my new $1 star bowls). I finished up the meal with a "flag" dessert. It had a sugar cookie crust, and then was topped with a cream cheese/powdered sugar mixture with strawberries and blueberries placed to look like a flag. While it wasn't quite an "Erin Cox" meal, it did taste pretty good.

On Friday, we were lazy and spent the day playing the Lego Indiana Jones playstation game and just hanging out with each other. We had thought about going to see Wall-e but were so glad that we didn't because some friends of Brian's from Alabama called and were in town bringing their son to Honors Symposium. Brian met up with them at a coffee shop and got to visit for a little bit. When he came home, he was telling me how surprised he was to see that their youngest son was already three. He also said he felt bad for them because he hadn't gotten much of a nap and they were having to take him to a dinner. So, we came up with the plan for Seth to come over so they could enjoy the dinner. It ended up that their twin boys (going into 7th grade) came with him since he didn't know us, and we all had a good time. David loved getting to play with Seth and Nathan attached himself to one of the older boys when he agreed to play the Lego Star Wars game with him. We took them back to their parents about 7:30 and then took the boys to get Frosty's. We finished up the evening by watching fireworks from a parking lot.

This is almost embarrassing to admit, but Saturday, we spent the whole day in our pajamas being lazy. We played games and just had a fun day. Little did we know that it was giving us strength for Sunday.

Sunday was busy! Both Brian and I taught Bible class. There was a potluck that a friend and I were in charge of after morning services. We had a work time for our Michigan mission trip as well as an information meeting. I ended up teaching a class at the last minute for our Sunday night kid's church. Needless to say, it was one of those days where we didn't stop all day. After a really lazy weekend, it was kind of nice.

So, that was our weekend. I hope that everyone had a wonderful fourth of July!

No comments: