Tuesday, February 07, 2006

The Headstand

I was in the kitchen this morning and looked up to a strange sight. From the kitchen, you can see into the boys' bathroom. I saw two little legs parallel to the floor, but then they started to become more and more perpendicular. Imagine my surprise when I went into the bathroom and saw Nathan doing a headstand in the bathroom sink. The funny thing is that his headstand was pretty good!

Now some of you may be thinking, "Oh my goodness! I cannot imagine a child doing such a thing." Well, welcome to the world of Nathan. The child is fearless and will try anything. If he gets hurt or it doesn't work out well, then he will try it again and again until he does get it right. He does it all with a determined look in his eye and a smile on his face. How do you get mad at a kid with his head in the sink when he looks at you with such a great smile?

All of this leads me to sharing the strange dream I had the other night. (If you ask my husband, he will tell you that all my dreams are strange, but this one was especially disturbing.) In this dream, our family was in the middle of this big project and we needed some stuff from Wal-Mart. Brian was planning on going to Wal-Mart to get the stuff, and Nathan was going with him. So, I watched Nathan get in the car and decided I better keep on working on the project. Eventually I went back into the house and saw Brian sitting on the couch talking to some man. I knew the car was gone, so I thought to myself, "Oh no! Nathan went to Wal-Mart by himself!"

I walk up to Brian and ask him if he let Nathan go by himself to the store. He didn't seem to think it was a big deal and told me he would do great. I responded with, "Brian, first of all, I didn't tell him what I needed from the store and second, he is only 3. Even if he did know what I wanted, he couldn't read the labels on the packages. We will have to go find him!" Then I woke up.

Now, does anyone else think that it is a little odd that I didn't mention that fact that he doesn't know how to drive? A mom should catch that detail, shouldn't she? (By the way, in my dream, Nathan was driving a Camaro. We don't even own a Camaro. What does all this mean?!)

I guess my dream shows that I have come to assume that Nathan is going to do crazy things in life. Let me tell you, I have seen the glint in his eye when he tries to get behind the wheel of my van and I know what it means. If I ever make the mistake of leaving keys within his reach, he'll be cruisin' with the best of them. After all, this is the small child that has escaped from the church nursery in search of bigger and better things.

So for now, we lock the deadbolts at all times and try our best to secure all pieces of furniture to the wall. Then we just sit back, watch and laugh!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are right about Nathan being fearless. I'm just glad that he did his headstand in the sink and not on the toilet! The problem with his adventures is that he thinks he is being careful. I remember one time during my visit in Dec. he was going up the stairs with his arms full and half way up he turned around and said "don't worry Grandma, I be careful for you."

Stacey, thank you again for this blog.