Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Birthday Bash

I know what you are thinking...I have not posted in a LONG time. Life has been crazy and I honestly have not had a lot of extra time. In my defense, I did try to post once, but our internet went down and I lost everything.

So, to catch you up real quick -- My cousin is now back home after his surgery. Please continue to keep him in your prayers. They did have to cut his nerve, so he has no feeling on the left side of his face, but it seems like the pain is being managed with medicine right now, which is an answer to many prayers. Thanks to everyone for the emails and for praying for him!

At our house, we had a BIG day yesterday. David celebrated his 5th birthday. Man, talk about time flying. It seems like it was just yesterday when we brought him home from the hospital. I pulled out some of his baby pictures and showed them to David. We talked about bringing him home from the hospital and how much we adored him. He loved it.

I also thought to myself about all that happened along the way to get him to this day from the tough pregnancy with 3 months of bedrest, being told he might have Down's Syndrome, the emergency c-section delivery, the problems he had after birth with his blood sugar and eating to the "growing-up" problems that have made us worry, cry or pull our hair in frustration. I don't know if I thought about all this because David turning 5 just seems so impossible or if it was because I really saw him yesterday and was so thankful for him and being at this point with him.

I have always thought that David was a kind-hearted little boy, but he truly showed me his heart yesterday. He offered to let Nathan help him open presents and even said he could have one if he wanted. David and I went on a date for lunch and talked about growing up. He told me that when he grows up he wants to be a Big Kid (a.k.a teenager like the ones in the youth group) and a race car driver. He thanked me all day for everything we did. The moment that touched me the most though was when he blew out the candles. I asked him if he made a wish and he said, "I wish that I will stay with Daddy and Mommy and Nathan forever!"

If I could bottle up time, this would be one of those moments I would keep forever. I would pull it out when he is throwing a fit or yelling at his brother, just to remind me of how thankful I really am for him rather than getting caught up in the frustration of the moment. He is a blessing.

So to my dear, sweet David, you will always be with me and Daddy and Nathan forever because you touch us with your kind heart every day. But, if you want to live with good ol' Dad and Mom for forever, then you better get paid a lot as a race car driver because we charge a lot for rent!

No comments: